Monday, October 4, 2010

Make Every Day a Tuesday

Since laziness is more of my style, I just figure I will copy over my journal entry from tuesday to explain the reason why I want to make every day like that one.

"Okay, so, today was hilarious. We went down south to Louisiana, just shy of Mexico, after dropping Elder Bischoff"s poop samples off at the hospital. Louisiana has MOUNTAINS! Well, hills, but it still got me all sorts of excited. We had lunch at a little diner run by this cool black grandma named Izola's Place and had it all paid for by a sort-of investigator that we are still trying to teach a lesson to. When our food came out we realized we both liked the looks of the other's meal, so we switched, to the surprise and confusion of the waitress. We followed the almost-investigator... to a worksite for no real reason before deciding to try and teach another time. We tried to find an old potential but instead found a giant white bunny. We then set off on a mountain-ish highway looking for a referral named Eliazar. It was a beautiful day so we had the windows down, blasting MoTab. When we were unable to find the referral, we began to head back. Despit the fact the road said 'Semi's use alternate route,' I saw up ahead a largte semi come around a corner. At first I was frightened by the driver's apparent inability to keep the truck in his lane, I quickly became aware of another horror: dried corn flying out of his trailer. Afraid of what grain would do to our open-windowed car, I yelled, 'We're gonna get grained!' [to warn my companion of our doom.] A shower of seeds landed on our car, but didn't enter. We began laughing almost too hard for me to drive. I then asked my companion to call the referal, whose address was a Louisiana, MO, address, to find out his location, but when he typed in the phone number it said it was a Louisiana State area code. This person resides far outside our area. More laughter. We then went to a town named Bowling Green and got barked at by a man in his house while knocking on his door. Laughter. On our way to the next town, maps in the backseat attempted, on two different occasions to decaptiate me, one even suicidally leaping out the front window. In order to forestall any further murderous plots, I rolled up the windows and turned on the air conditioning. Soon we found ourselves up a single lane, mountain, forest trail that was marked on a map but not in real life. Broken farm and construction equipment lurked behind trees, along with the sad remains of a couple three houses, one of which being a trailer home perched on a hill, both ends sticking out in open space. Elder Bischoff got scared of the potential of zombies and almost convinced me to turn back when we saw a house with this referral's last name on it. And a cowardly dog. Nobody was home, so we left the requested item with a not. We then left, elder Bischoff insuring his door was locked on the way out. ON the way to Hannibal, I found out why my camera charger was missing, but Elder Morris promised to have it delivered to me from Elder Shelman at Zone Conference. We stopped by Lover's leap on the way in.... We then had dinner with a member family...who didn't fully appreciate the humor of the day as we did. We then taught a new member lesson to a child whose mother is blessed with patience. And now I'm running out of ink. I bought this pen yesterday! Oh, we also played bing pong tonight. I never knew all those rules! Also nearly unintentionally played chicken [or, as my companion calls it, turkey] tonight. Not my fault! G2G2Bed.

Notice:
No drugs were used in the making or writing of this day. Besides Zyrtec."

Maybe this recitation of the events of this day are much like many others I send home. You just had to be there. Besides that day, things were fairly uneventful. We spent a good amount of time preparing for the Stop Smoking Workshop on Thursday, a guaranteed way to stop smoking in seven days. The lesson, due to our high amounts of preparation and the Spirit, went great, despite things that could have otherwise been very distracting. It really did a lot in building trust in the members there, we believe. And the people we taught it to? Well, they've already given in and smoked. But they've recommitted themselves to start again. Kind of disappointing. But what can ya do?

Went to zone conference. It was good. Got to hear from our mission doctor on how to be healthy and all that jazz. Had a sister missionary in the Nauvoo Mission take a picture of our district next to the temple. It's kind of weird having a mission inside our mission just for Nauvoo, kind of like how temple square inside the Salt Lake City Mission.

GENERAL CONFERENCE was amazing. Didn't see it? Fix that. Watch it. I really liked President Uchtdorf's talk on pride. And Jeffrey R Holland's. And all of them, for that matter. An investigator came to part of the sessions! The first investigator I've had at church for five months. Yyyup....

Well, that's about it!
--
"But nevertheless, deep water is what I am wont to swim in." D&C 127:2
Elder Charlie Gates