Yep, transfers are this week. Sorry, I forgot as well that they were happening. Time really is accelerating quickly out here.... We got transfer calls on Saturday. We were in the apartment at 2 when President Jergensen called me, asking me to serve as the new district leader of the Quincy/Hannibal District (I will, from henceforth, refer to it as Quinnibal). He then let me know that Elder Bischoff was being transferred but to not say anything to him about it until the Assistants would call later that night. Well, Elder Bischoff overheard that and killed any amount of secrecy. Oh well. So, yeah, Elder Bischoff's taking off. We think he's going to Iowa City YSA from what the assistants were hinting at, and, if that's the case, puts him right next to one of the best hospitals in the area. He finally had an ultrasound this week for gallstones, so he'll be finding out about that soon. He had to have the info released to the mission office. I am also pretty excited about my calling as district leader, not because I'm a climber or anything, I really don't seek leadership, I just have the privilege to talk all of district meeting. Well, I did that already, but now I won't feel guilty!
To answer your questions:
1) I apologize for not explaining better about losing my driving privileges. That will be for the rest of my mission. Yep....
2) Elder Bischoff is well enough to drive, but it's probably better to keep him off the bike as much as possible.... Which is funny, since if he is going to the YSA that means no car, just walking and biking and riding busses. He's...the same as always, as far as wellness goes. I'm sad to see him go, but excited for a well missionary that can help us achieve the wonderful potential Hannibal has.
3)PLEASE send me my ballot. I forgot I would still have a say in this election, which I most definitely keep hearing about. Please also send the voter pamphlet, as I will otherwise just vote for people with the funniest name in the local elections. (Anybody willing to go outside and even run for the public office of Assistant to the Senate's Note Taker's Coffeemaker with a name like Cord Heimerdinger or Turd Ferguson has my vote)
Things are going great here in the way of the work. A family that we're working with has had us over to eat twice now and wants to feed us before each lesson. The father has really been the only one sitting in on lessons, but the mother is interested too and the kids love us. They are unmarried though, something we didn't know, and the husband she's still married to left her and completely disappeared on her a couple years ago. So marriage and baptism will take some time, but I feel very strongly that they will be baptized eventually. There are seven children there, so it's a pretty full house. It's an interesting situation, but, sadly, a situation that is a lot less uncommon than I ever thought before I came out on a mission. We'll also need them to quit smoking. But a strong testimony of the gospel needs to come before anything else. We watched the Restoration and the Testaments with him this week, and we gave him both so he could watch them with the kids!!
Besides that, the week hasn't been too much different than normal. I took the extra time inside this week to clean, work on my Plan of Salvation visual aides, peruse through a Deseret Book catalog that an former missionary serving here signed himself up for with this as the address (I'm working on my christmas list with it), read old Friend's, and accidentally beat Elder Bischoff at chess.
That's about it in the way of my week. Good job Lorena! Soke in all of the attention you can for walking. Pretty soon people will be expecting it out of you and it won't be as exciting. Nicole Ellis' Farewell, eh? Crazy. She'll do good. Now, maybe, God will get her back for the time she stuck a rat in my apartment at college. And no worries about missionaries freaking out when they see you with your name tags, we do the same thing when we see others wearing them. We always silently cross our fingers that they're new proselyting missionaries. And just because you're not a proselyting missionary doesn't mean you can't not tract, as some members in one of my areas did that. But believe me. We'd prefer you'd leave that up to the pros. Welcome home, Brad! You'll have to let me know what it's like to be an RM.
The weather's definitely changing and Halloween's coming fast. I don't know if there is a creepier town to stay in for halloween. Don't get me wrong, Hannibal's a wonderful, beautiful town. But at night....
Well, Charity you all!
"But nevertheless, deep water is what I am wont to swim in." D&C 127:2
Elder Charlie Gates