Another week is by, and still no improvement on Elder Bischoff. He has actually been worse off. There were a few days of not doing much at all due to him feeling completely nauseous and in pain. The doctor's appointment was useless. After a month of waiting, all they did was tell him that as far as they could tell, he was perfectly healthy, and gave him stuff for a stool test and sent him on his way, never doing the ultrasound he came in for in the first place. So now we have to go turn in the stuff and wait some more for them to test it all. And, in the mean time, Elder Bischoff suffers and I get bored. So, many of you who have been waiting for letters back will get replies shortly. I'm sending off four letters today that I wrote on saturday alone. We still somehow pulled off three member presents this past week, but that was the only number that was worth anything. Not that I'm a number monger in the slightest, I've been companions with number whores and know what it's like to be with someone that only cares about looking good to President, but it shows we still did something this week to serve others. One was with a couple that are going to take the Stop Smoking Workshop that we're starting this week, another was a part-member couple that also needs to quit smoking and get married and they kept asking questions about ghosts and possession and all sorts of stuff that I know very little about and which I am not very concerned about, and the third was with a fifteen-year-old and we took another young man with us whom he clicked with well. The stop smoking workshop will be done this week and we'll be able to get about six people to become nonsmokers, which will be great. I wish there was more to report on, but there really isn't. We're being fed well, and I got to visit Palmyra for the first time. My area here has a lot of places named after others (Louisiana, Paris, Philadelphia, Palmyra, and just outside of our area is Mexico. I also enjoy that Hannibal was the conqueror of Carthage, another obvious area in our Zone.) I can travel the globe without leaving my area. I was all sorts of confused when my companion was telling me about people in all of these places. It took me awhile to realize that they were names of towns here. I still get confused when somebody says they went to Mexico or that somebody worked in a plant in Mexico. I hope I don't sound despondent, I'm not... mostly.
"But nevertheless, deep water is what I am wont to swim in." D&C 127:2
Love,
Elder Charlie Gates