Have I mentioned yet that I've finally officially discovered how to spell Missouri? I could never remember if it had two R's or two S's.... And did you know it's capitol is Jefferson City? I guess I just always looked at it as the chigger-filled anti-mormon mob-minded-citizens state I never had any desire to step foot in. I definitely have gained much more charity for this state and its inhabitants since I had that belief.
That was a bad way to start this off. The reasoning behind my topic is that this town definitely seems like a spooky town. It's scary to be in at night! All of the houses downtown are very old and with the big hills you get some interesting designs and precarious placements for the lots. Last night we went looking for a less active at night, but the house was empty with newspapers on the front porch from june and a yard completely overgrown, yet an erie light glowed in one of the upstairs rooms. And the house totally looked like it was from some remake of "The Haunted Mansion."
Anyway.
Oh, you probably want to know about my new companion. I feel like I get a new one a week nowadays so it's just normal. I'm running out of room in my pmg to write in their names (Number ten, eleventh transfer). I now have Elder England from Stockton, CA. He's a good kid it seems, and doesn't have any major illness besides a residual cough from a cold he had, but that's it.
While we have some good plans for the area and great things about to happen, not much really got done this past week. It really was sad to see such a dichotomy between our half of the district and Quincy's. That's ok, though, we'll be stepping it up a large notch due to no more days spent inside.
Oh, but in the way of stories, things did occur there. Like the halloween parade we went to, the most exciting part being a cool picture I got of a passing motorcycle. I also was sitting at the house of the part member family we're working with and their son was seated beside me with his head on my should, falling asleep. I thought it was cute until his father picked him up and realized he had not only peed his own pants but mine, too. So expect some money taken out of my account for dry cleaning. They want to pay for it, but we're more worried about their money going towards a marriage license right now than for their kid's accident. On the bright side, they have potty-trained their new puppy!
Thank you for the positives of being co-pilot for the rest of my mission, mom. My actual bet is that if I run into an occasion where neither me nor my companion can drive, they'll just have neither of us drive. Elder England keeps saying, when something almost happens but I warn him before it does, "Hey, you almost got your driving privileges back!" Yeah, doubtful.
I believe that's all! It's not a full week, so there's a lot less to write about. Sorry to disappoint. I'm happy to hear that Brad has grown so much. From the emails I would get here and there that he was sending home, it really seemed like he had changed a lot for the better. I'm also glad my D&C 127 quote is so popular and was used in sacrament meeting. But I have to be honest and give credit where it's due. I got that scripture from Rachel in a letter she sent and I really liked it.
"But nevertheless, deep water is what I am wont to swim in." D&C 127:2
Elder Charlie Gates