Hello Everybody,
Yep, I found out where I'm going: Hannibal, Missouri, the boyhood home of Mark Twain. It's in the Nauvoo Stake and is on the exact polar opposite end of the mission. God seems to like to keep me livin on the edge. It'll be nice being south as it transitions from summer to fall to winter, though.
It's really weird finding out where you will be transferred to the saturday before transfers. It allowed us to be able to find a ride on sunday, but it still makes it weird for the rest of the week. Having never known I would be transferred when I was for all of my other tranfers, my main goal for the last few days was visiting members and saying goodbye, an opportunity I have never enjoyed in the past, besides for maybe one person or so. So yeah, it's been interesting. Luckily, or unluckily, I have one less thing to pack: a bike. In our apartment complex, there are garages, which are usually a blessing. The garage is one long building separate from the main tower. Inbetween each garage is a wall consisting of wire stapled to boards. Our new next door neighbor decided to leave their door open one day, and a day or so later we realized that not only had somebody cut through the wire wall, but had also stolen my bike and pulled it through while the door had been left open. So, I'm bikeless now. I filed a police report and all of that jazz, but it's likely it will never be found. Poor Dorcas, she was so nice with her fenders that I had found in our garage and lights and gel seat and front shocks. Really, Elder Shelman's bike looks so much more nice, it's surprising that mine was the one stolen. But stolen it is. So, yeah, the assistants have offered to sell me a missionary's old bike. I don't know yet. I'm not too worried for some reason. Maybe Heavenly Father is just trying to make sure I don't go on a homicidal rampage with all the junk going on. But no worries, God takes care of his missionaries.
I can't wait to see Cari. She was supposed to be here yesterday morning, then it moved to last night, then to this morning, now for tonight. I'm used to investigators rescheduling, just hopefully Cari won't drop us as it seems all of our investigators have done. We're pretty much investigatorless at this point, since most have seemed to disappear or turn uninterested or both. We did a lot more Less Active and Part Member work, though, to make up for it. Since reactivated less actives seem to bring lots of member referrals, we're trying that out. We'll see how the new missionary does things here. I can prep for the transfer all I want and set things up how I would like them, but it really doesn't matter if he comes in and completely changes it.
Yes, I did get all of the stuff you sent out mom, thank you! I bought a cheap frame and framed the picture you sent of grandpa. I loved reading over all of the stuff. You were right mom, he really was the real deal. I've always looked up to him, and it's nice to see, written down by his children, all of the traits he had that I admired.
I don't have much else to say. Going by a few members' homes has been nice, and it's good to know that while nothing really has happened or come about in the way of investigators being baptized or even coming to church while I've been here, I still seem to have made a postive influence on some members. I can actually leave and not feel like a total waste. That's probably not fair to say, but people's agency getting in the way of their salvation just gets sad after awhile. Anyway, that's about all. I get to leave tomorrow morning at 6 so sleep is going to be less than I would like.
Love you all!
"But nevertheless, deep water is what I am wont to swim in." D&C 127:2
Elder Charlie Gates