As you mentioned in your email, I did handle the news pretty well, considering. I loved being able to talk with all of you. I love you, mom and dad, for your ability to keep up your senses of humor. That helped me, knowing you two were handling it well. I did a lot of praying and really received help from my Heavenly Father through His Son's eternal sacrifice. The next day, at ten, I busted out of the doors and marched my companion up the street at breakneck speed, tracting. I had, the last night and that morning, recieved an assurance that I would see my grandfather again and that my family is eternal. I knew that this message did not only have the possibility of improving someone else's life, but that it would, beyond a shadow of a doubt, change everyone's life for the better. Everyone can benefit from the blessings of the temple and the truths of this gospel, and I was obligated to share it with my fellowman. I read 1 Nephi 8:10-12, and I realized that that was me. I had partaken of that tree of life and I now desired to share that absolutely incredible fruit with others. And so up I went, with poor Elder Shelman in my wake, boldly proclaiming these truths with everyone I saw. We went up the length of the street and then headed to a potential's home and taught them, obtaining 3 new investigators, and sharing with them why I knew this message was so important. They had lost their father in the previous year, and I let them know of the recent loss i had had and how much comfort this message brought me. In a week, in the mission, the typical goal for contacts or amount of nonmembers we took a gospel conversation as far as we could is 80, and that day we got 41. I continued on in my fire the next few days, ecstatic about the gospel, but it began to wain as the week went on. Saturday, I crashed, literally and emotionally. I went to head out the door, and my heart felt heavy. It didn't relent after visiting with our ward mission leader. I informed my companion of my feelings, and let him know that I needed to take it easy that day. So we filled our time trying to meet up with investigators and keep appointments, but otherwise visited with a less-active member, Earl, who I appreciate the humor of. I probably should have pushed through, but I figured if I took one day of taking it easy, but still not sitting around the apartment, it would be better than letting things consume me. I had realized throughout the week how little i was being affected, and wondered how that could be with how much I love Grandpa. But it hit that day.
But let me get this straight. I'm fine. I'm actually happy I'm on my mission...to a point. I wish I could have been there for everything, but out here I've been allowed to come to know even more fully of the truth of the gospel and I've really received so many more blessings from being out here. Things could be so much worse, and I'm so glad that Grandpa is in a better place, and i know he's doing great work over there. I love him dearly and I'm so happy that he is no longer physically limited from serving his Father.I can't wait to someday have an experience like I have had twice in the temple, of rejoicing in the celestial room with my family, just being able to see even more people I love there.
Yesterday, with the news that transfers are next thursday, more people signed up for feeding us. I was told by one mother how her young daughter had chosen her favorite missionary a few years ago and that her son couldn't decide on his favorite missionary. Over a few years he searched for his favorite. Finally he's found one, and it's me. Others, too, have expressed some sadness at the possibility of me leaving, and when i added that to the calendar, our next two weeks all but filled up.
Work's going great. I love you all so very much and wish I was there, but know it's better for me to be out here, sharing the knowledge that has blessed us all with others. I could not have asked for a better family. I'm starting to wonder if it really was you looking at me in the Adoption Showroom or if I was picking you out of the list of Adoptive Parent Resumes. Either way, God made the right choice. He always does.
Take care and I look forward to the stuff from Grandpa's Funeral.
--
"But nevertheless, deep water is what I am wont to swim in." D&C 127:2
Elder Charlie Gates