I didn't write yesterday because we had a meeting at the Nauvoo Stake Center where our zone, along with Peoria, Davenport, Iowa City, and Cedar Rapids Zones where W. Craig Zwick of the Seventy talked to us. He actually, surprisingly enough, is Sister Jergensen's brother. So that was cool. It was an amazing meeting and the Spirit was so strong. It was probably the most powerful meeting I've been to in a long time. And he handled himself in such a way we KNEW it was a general authority speaking to us and conveying these things to us. It was wonderful. He gave great insight on how to improve ourselves, and what he said, along with the Spirit, burned into my heart and made me want to improve myself. Not that I've ever been a terrible missionary or person, but I now know I've felt the "cleansing by fire" effect the Spirit has. I mean, I've repented plenty of times, but this was different. I don't know if I'm explaining myself right, but that's how it felt. It was a change of heart, and one that was not so gradual, but immediate. Make sense? Oh well, I can just say you're not in tune with the Spirit enough if you don't. Just kidding....
This week has been interesting, too. Elder Bischoff has been having health problems for awhile now, and over the last few days it's been getting worse. He's going to see the doctor again tomorrow after a month-long wait between appointments, and hopefully they will be able to determine what's wrong. It's been getting in the way of the work somewhat, and it's been hurting him, since he has such a strong desire to do well. I really feel sorry for him.
We also picked up an interesting new investigator. We've been teaching a Part-Member family that has had some interesting stuff holding them back from marriage, but it sounds like that's being resolved and so, once we get them through the Stop Smoking Workshop, they should be set to be baptized! It's such an interesting thing, that not only do we get to teach spiritual lessons, but we also get to teach people how to quit an addictive substance that I've never even tried nor been tempted by (I'm pretty sure I'd die if I tried it. Asthma comes in handy.). Anyway, well, the husband and member there introduced us to his friend up the street to whom we taught a lesson by answering his questions. It was a really spiritually led discussion and both my companion and I felt incredible afterwards. I hadn't felt that good after a lesson for a long time. He wants to continue meeting with us, so I hope that he, too, will be baptized.
Oh, you wanted to know about my bike and "digs" (do you mean apartment?). My bike is incredible. It is so handy for this hilly town, and it's so lightweight and made for roads and not offroad. I never ride offroad anyway, so I'm set. I've been cruising along while poor Elder Bischoff, with his borrowed mountain bike (no joke, the name of the bike is a Hooger-Booger) that can't get out of Low Gear. I still need to follow him all over this labyrinthian town, but every hill I have to pass him, both up and down, to make sure I don't lose momentum and have to struggle on through. I also tried out my cup holder (stock), but got a cup that was too big and it accidentally bounced out at one point and fell right into the drain. Whoops. As for my apartment, it's alright. It's better than my last one, for sure, but still feels a little cramped, mostly because some missionaries decided awhile back there was enough room to bring in a ping pong table and I'm taking my time moving in.
Well, I gotta get going. I hope you all have a more enjoyable week this next week!
"But nevertheless, deep water is what I am wont to swim in." D&C 127:2
Elder Charlie Gates
PS. They really DO say Missourah. I thought Rachel was joking about that.