Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Found a Favorable Function for the Figure 5

Well, I now have two companions: Elder Poulsen and Elder Wayland. For those of you that can remember this far back, I came out with Elder Wayland and served with him for a couple days in the MTC after my companion went to Colorado Springs. So, this is a blast. I'm really going to enjoy serving with the two of them my last transfer. We all have similar tastes in music and movies and we can't stop laughing and having a hilarious time. Elder Unsicker is settled in his new apartment with his new companion, Elder Peterson. Elder Peterson is, as he says in his general introduction, 6' 5" and 300 lbs and from Las Vegas. He loves talking and is very opinionated and that, sadly, easily elicits smart Alec remarks from whomever he speaks to.
The most exciting thing yet is that I have a new camera. I lost my little digital camera a little bit ago and searched for it some and have been waiting for it to pop up but as of yet, no luck. I really don't know what happened to it.... But, a member, Brother Holt, when he heard about my missing camera and my love for photography, offered me his camera from his mission in Germany back in the seventies. It's an old Rollei German camera. It is basically a mix between an SLR and a point and shoot, meaning that I can focus it, change the F-Stop and Shutter Speed, has a built-in light meter, extendable Carl Zeiss Lens, and can still fit in a pocket. He gave it to me along with a short yet functional remote and a device that is a tripod that can also clamp onto things or screw into a tree for support. Yeah, it's sweet. You'll love it, Dad. Look it up online, it's a Rollei B35. He had gotten it on his mission shortly before being given a different camera and just doesn't have a use for it anymore. He'd actually been looking for an appreciative home for it for awhile and so when he found both a need and a loving new owner, he graciously allowed me to have it. I've already developed one roll of film with it that he had given me and it appears that the light meter and all of that actually work well. Elder Poulsen is also really into photography and old cameras so we've been enjoying talking about it and he also has a good collection. He has a little film point and shoot called the Mini Diana, which has the feature of exposing only half of the frame at a time, a sweet Minolta SLR, and even a Polaroid camera with film, which is hard to come by nowadays, as Polaroid film is no longer being produced.
Anyway, my nerdy side is about complete. The work is going well enough. We have way too much we need to get figured out before we can just buckle down and get to work. We will be moving apartments soon, most likely this week, which is halfway stuck between exciting and annoying. Hopefully soon we can just kick back and work. We found out on one day that for the past three days of bike riding we had had a heat advisory in effect. That was cool....
The fourth was cool here. We saw some sweet biplane acrobatics over the river and fireworks from our front porch on Sunday and then saw a cool fireworks show with a sweet member family over on a golf course last night.
I'll probably bring home my boots just in case but leave quite a bit here. I'll bring home a couple suits, one I bought out here and my grey one I came out with, but I'll plan on leaving the rest. I'm starting to realize how easy it will be to pack as I won't have much I will need to bring home.
But I'm just enjoying being in high spirits and I plan on fully utilizing that for these next few weeks!
--

Ij Yokwe Yuk!
Elder Charlie Gates