Tuesday, March 8, 2011

How Many Missionaries Does It Take to Change a Lightbulb?

Two and the Holy Ghost, but only if the lightbulb wants to change.
I know, bad change on a classic, but it's true.
So this week has been mostly marked by...you know, stuff. Monday we drove all over looking at different parks and accidentally ended up in Wisconsin. Sort of outside our mission boundaries but I liked to pretend I could say hi briefly to the other Elder Gates over there. Tuesday we finished up some items we couldn't finish monday for Prep Day. That night I didn't feel well and on Wednesday I woke up being dizzy and junk, so we didn't do much. Thursday we had a special district meeting with the whole zone (so I'm assuming it should really have been deamed a Zone Meeting, but not Zone Conference, as that's this week) down in Davenport. That was good, but it took up our whole day. Friday we tried to see some people but most didn't exist. I've come to terms with the fact that the edge of the face of the earth must be located somewhere in the Midwest, as most stories of people, let them be investigators or less actives, end with "and then they fell off the face of the earth." I would not be surprised, as I swear I saw the end of the earth somewhere in South Dakota or Nebraska. Saturday we helped fill the baptismal font for a members' child's baptism. There ended up not being any real room for us in there for the actual baptism so we went to the family history library and learned a little about that for finding efforts. That evening we were invited to a member's Magic Show, which he was able to get us in for free to. Elder Noel loves magic so we went. I'm unsure if it's approved, but I wasn't about to fight the matter. Just label it and file it away in the "Failed Finding Attempts" or "Supporting Members' Occupations" folders. It was really interesting, cool, and entertaining, though. Sunday we had stake conference, but it was a regional broadcast. It was really good and had Bishop H. David Burton, Mary N. Cook, Quentin L. Cook, and Henry B. Eyring. I loved it all, especially that it was tailored to the midwest, but especially appreciated what H. David Burton had to say about this being the Heartland. Luckily it's not the Lungland, as most people here smoke. Later we watched Mountain of the Lord with a really cool recent convert Marshallese teenager. Sadly, however, some of us were more interested in the back of our eyelids at times.... I love that movie, though. Now Elder Noel is having a race through the Book of Mormon with that Recent Convert. I gladly avoid those races and enjoy my time going through it.
I really wish I had more to say, but I don't, really. Take care and more will come next week.

--

"For business reasons I must preserve the outward signs of sanity." -Mark Twain
Love, Elder Charlie Gates