Hello there everybody!
So I think I forgot to mention this last week, but I got permission to go to the Nauvoo Temple this last Tuesday! It was, of course, incredible. It's been so long since I last went, I think it was October 2009 or so. So it was no problem getting permission to go. Plus it was great doing a session in such a historic temple. I was reminded of so much and learned so much. I LOVE temples altogether, but Nauvoo, both the town and the temple, will always have a special place in my heart. I remember watching the webcam that used to be set up, showing the building of the Nauvoo Temple, and how excited I would be to check up on the progress. So, yeah. I especially like going to Nauvoo from the south, along the River Road, being able to see the temple perched atop the hill for miles before getting there. It's beautiful. The members that took us were even nice enough to pay for breakfast, lunch and dinner, and even some fudge from the Fudge Factory and small souvenirs. They really didn't have to do all that, and I wasn't expecting them to, but they did. Oh, speaking of small souvenirs, unless you don't have one already, Mom and Dad, one of those Nauvoo Bricks is yours to keep.
Later in the week, however, I got the chance to tour a Masonic Temple. That was fascinating! I had always wanted to see what people had always talked about when they said things about how things in the temple were taken from the Masons. Now that I've been given a tour, and had some things explained to me from the Masonic symbols, I can see how there are a few similarities, but oh, what a difference! Comparing the feeling between the two of them was the biggest testifier. While I could see that there was good in the Masons, and that what they do and all they stand for is interesting, the Spirit wasn't there. Not that the Spirit was absent, it was just no more present than any normal building. At one point, in a large lodge room, I played "Come Thou Fount" on the organ, and immediately there was a difference. While the building had me in awe, I didn't feel the Spirit until I played that song and felt the Spirit come in. Those of you who have been through an LDS Temple know, on the other hand, that in there the Spirit is so very strongly testifying of its truthfulness. Being able to compare and contrast the two locations was a wonderful way to grow my testimony in the Temples of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints. I also had the fun chance to show our guide, a less active member, how to work the player piano in one of the other lodge rooms. He had never seen it work, and didn't think it could, but after doing some looking around and finding the hidden peddles, I soon had the thing running. I love the little things you learn on your mission, like all that I learned about player pianos from one of my favorite members in Mason City. I was also amazed to hear, as I began pumping the peddles, the hymn "Lead Kindly Light" play back at me, and feel the Spirit once again change the vast building. The Masons generally only require their members to believe in some higher power, and some smaller auxiliaries within the group do get more specific on Christ, and thus there is a slight religious tint to the organization, but is not a church, the Spirit's just not in that building like it is in ours. As missionaries who visit other religions always say, seeing other churches rebuilds your testimony in the Church, the same happened here with temples. Gotta love it!
We also set another baptismal date this week! This one is with a 16-year-old kid named Hunter. He's a good kid who used to be taught but got really busy for awhile but wants to be taught again and still wants to be baptized! He didn't come to church this week, due to work, but he's looking for another job and we're praying for him.
Ok, so for a little extra bit of news, in my efforts to refocus myself and rededicate myself to the work, and allowing the mission to change me, I have felt impressed to, and have decided to, stop writing letters. I'll only write my emails home for family and this blog and my already rare snail mail letters to family. You may all still write me, but I won't reply. Now, in extenuating circumstances, such as a marriage or whatnot, I'll send you something as a congratulatory thing or whatever, but otherwise, I feel that this is what I must do. So, keep updated on my blog here and you'll know everything basically that I would have sent to you otherwise! I hope you all understand! And remember, Mom, Dad, Cari and James, this doesn't include you, you'll still hear from me.
Well, that's about it!
--
"Don't Sell Yourself Short." -President Crabtree
Love, Elder Charlie Gates