Monday, March 14, 2011

"Heroes Get Remembered, But Legends Never Die. Follow Your Heart, Kid, and You'll Never Go Wrong." -Babe Ruth Off of The Sandlot

Hello World,
It's Elder Gates.
As you can tell by my title, I still have the sick talent to remember quotes, even after it being this long.
I hear that apparently I unknowingly made an appearance in my homeward's sacrament meeting. I'm happy to know that I have achieved Nirvana and can now be in more than one place at once. I'm happy I could be of assistance, Lake Holm Ward!
Speaking of home, I met a less active Marshallese guy that actually lived for a time in Auburn, actually just on the wrong side of the road in Algona. It was pretty cool to finally meet somebody that not only knows what Auburn is (and that Worshington is not only a city but a state as well) but that lived there. So that was pretty cool.
This week was mostly spent outside of my area. I went on exchanges with Elder Poulson, a good friend of mine from the MTC, and my current District Leader, over in Galena, IL. Galena is apparently a pretty big tourist town. Why? Nobody really knows. I think it's somewhat like the Field of Dreams, how people just came in the movie to the field without really knowing why. Speaking of the Field of Dreams, guess what's in my area? It's either in it or just on the border, but I'm going to go with it being in my area because I want to go bad. Anyway. Point is that this wee little town has lots of appeal. It's a cute town, but besides Ulysses S. Grant being born there, there's not much historical about it. Their branch building is the back part of an office building, which is still a step up from the storefront on Main Street that Savanna, another area in the district, has for a church building. I never thought I'd see a fishbowl chapel. It was a good time over there, but there are times when visiting other missionary's areas helps you gain a new appreciation for your own. I'm just not used to being in the "whiter field," usually I'm in the area that helps other missionaries appreciate what they have. We then had Zone Conference in Iowa City which took all day. We didn't get back until late that night. Lucky for the Galena Elders, they got to sleep over in Savanna so they wouldn't have to be getting back to Galena so late, but seeing as we were driving the Sisters in our district to their area in Maquoketa, we really couldn't use their apartment as a rest stop. So we got in at 11 at the earliest. It didn't help, either, that Elder Noel got a ticket. He almost had his driving privileges taken away, but as the command for mine to be taken away came from Salt Lake and was not merely a command from President, President Jergensen had to let Elder Noel keep his driving privileges so we wouldn't lose the car. This, of course, as it always does, led to a few minutes of lamentation by President Jergensen as to how he wishes I had not lost my driving privileges and that if there is anybody that should be driving it's me. I've gotten used to this lamentation either by him or by Elder Church, the Senior Couple Elder over the vehicles. I usually then have to inform them of all of the perks of being in the passenger seat, while also thinking about how useless it is to be senior companion without the keys. It's like being captain without the wheel.
"Steer the boat here."
"Um, no, Captain."
"....Ok, whatever."
Luckily I'm in more of a co-senior companionship right now so it doesn't matter too much.
Anyway, point is that Elder Noel now had a hefty ticket to pay and no money in his account to pay it with. He had to call home for the money. President Jergensen gave him authorization to do so, but said that Elder Noel, since he was so close to going home, could not speak with his mother but to have me do the speaking. That was hilarious, his mom cracked me up. While it was slightly awkward passing on her continuous expressions of love to him, it was nice talking to a mom of a missionary, even if it wasn't my mom. President never gave any amount of time to the conversation so I had a good chat with her. Speaking of Elder Noel going home soon, it's really weighing on his mind, and, as he puts it, is driving him crazy. I really don't understand all of the trunkiness he's feeling, especially as I've recommitted myself lately, but I do hope I'm not driven crazy by it when I reach that point in my mission.
We set a baptismal date this week with a Marshallese kid! His name's Eddy and his brother is a member already. I was actually in Galena when they met with him, but he's a great kid that's been coming to church for awhile.
The Zone Conference was really good, too, and I received some strong impressions of how to improve myself as a missionary. I've become recommitted, which is a good thing as last couple transfers reduced that somewhat.... Long story for all those that don't know already, just know that I'm more committed now than ever. I plan on sprinting these last few transfers and being completely consecrated to this work. Not that I haven't been mostly, I've just not been quite as focused as I could have been. This makes me sound so disobedient and unfocused, but believe me I've been really good, and better, now I'm striving for the best I can possibly be, and Zone Conference gave me the ideas of how. So...yeah.
That's about it!

--

"Never Sell Yourself Short." -President Layman
Love, Elder Charlie Gates

PS To explain my new signature, this was advice once given to me by one of my stake presidents. While he said it almost as just a random, it really has been a major quote for my mission.