So, yeah, this week was hot. And we spent nearly the entire week tracting. Wednesday was especially long for tracting. My companion carries around a handkerchief to wipe the sweat on his face. I don't, and don't even wipe the sweat off. Why? Because I figure that it has one of two benefits:
1) It might keep me cool.
2) It will work even more guilt (or possibly Godly Sorrow) into the spirit of those who reject us, for they will ever remember the servant of God who came to them, sweating profusely, and they turned him away. (This only works if they have a soul.)
Yesterday, however, I looked at myself in the mirror after a long bike ride, and realized just how gross I look, so maybe people didn't let us in because they were afraid of me sweating all over their furniture. Can't blame them there. I still hope they feel guilt.
Tuesday we took a trip out to a town called Charles City, a place I haven't been yet, and saw the perfect shot I've been waiting for: A picture of a gate next to the sign for Charles City. So finally I've found a picture of my name, Charles Gates. It's a nice little town, but it also has the curse of a trailer park: it causes tornadoes. It's been nearly wiped out a couple times. So be happy that that area is closed and that I'm not there. It's led to some cool stories by some people, though, like the one where a guy dove into the basement just as the tornado wiped out the building above. People say that a tornado has never hit Mason City. I just inform them that I've been one to break, or witness the breaking of, records, good or bad, since I've arrived in Iowa.
Speaking of Iowa being the hot spot for crazy weather: there was a ton of flooding down in Ames, Iowa. Nearly the whole city was underwater. It was all far away from me, and even if it wasn't, I sure hope it never effects us in our third story apartment.
Yep, I bought a backpack! I looked for one that seemed sturdy but lightweight and had all the stuff I'd need. So, I got myself a Converse backpack. Yep, now's the time to be jealous.
That's a good idea to get recipes from people. People have listed off the recipes before to some things, but I didn't write them down and I also probably spaced out for a second each time they do it, so next time I'll act differently.
We had district meeting in Fort Dodge. I made the mistake of looking at the map and realizing just how far that is. Luckily, though, we got to ride with the Hermanas, and I won the rock, paper, scissors for who would drive. It was nice not having to drive it myself. They're good Hermanas, so I'm thinking of turning our investigators down in Bristow over to them, since they're closer, and it might be easier for them to connect and help the mom and two daughters we're teaching there. I hate giving them up, but having investigators an hour away is tough, especially when the Hermanas cover the same area.
We did find some people to teach in our finding efforts...kind of. We tracted into these two girls in their twenties who invited us back. We came back, and they let us in, and luckily there were two other guys there with them. We taught them the first lesson, and addressed one of their concerns pertaining to why bad things happen to us. I used D&C 121 & 122 to do that, which is different since I usually shy away from D&C with investigators, but it helped her, so that's good. The girl who had her question answered seemed kind of interested, but she left early for work. Her brother, who took her to work, seemed completely disinterested. The other guy started off not being interested but then seemed much more so at the end. The other girl seemed interested at first and then not as much by the end. When I asked when was a good time we could come back, she said she'd call us. But she was interested in us coming to the party they were having later. When she asked if we partied, I said, "Probably not in the way you're thinking." She was kind of disappointed.
That's basically it! All's well!
--
"But nevertheless, deep water is what I am wont to swim in." D&C 127:2
Elder Charlie Gates