Aloha,
Thanksgiving's this week! I'm mostly excited about the fact this means the beginning of christmas and christmas music. We have no set appointments yet, but a couple possibilities that will probably pan out. We'll see.
And yes, I do have a new companion! His name's Elder McConnel, and he kind of looks like Steven and is a lot different than Elder Nelson, which isn't necessarily a bad thing. He's a good guy and will be good to serve with. It's been kind of stressful the last couple days, having to get Elder McCollen acquainted with the work out here. But it's falling into a rhythm and will be good. But I was still looking forward to today. P-Days are the closest thing missionaries get to "A Day of Rest." And they're not restful, really. Things are still going well, just going to be doing a lot of finding to build up our teaching pool and lots of Less-Active work.
Snow should be coming soon, or so they say. Good thing I bought my boots this past week. They'll be handy. A lot of missionaries go without but it'll be nice to have some boots. Not to mention they're way comfy.
Transfers are really...interesting times. Now I've done one where I stayed, and for the first time in my mission have had a normal mission pattern. On transfer day I got to hang out in Sioux City with the Zone Leader left behind, the other one had gone Assistant the week before, and another elder whose companion had left with Elder Nelson. We got some good shopping done, visited a member who collects and sells knives and swords which was interesting, and did a few other odd-jobs, as we all kept wondering who we were getting and all the craziness with that. Blind transfers sure do fulfill their purpose, but they cause so much intrigue amongst us missionaries it's hilarious. And the Vermillion Elders got whitewashed out and were replaced by sisters! It was kind of creepy to think that in the room I had slept in the night before there were now sisters. And that the apartment I'd been in so many times is now off-limits. Weird....
I'm thankful for this work. For all we do. I'm thankful for the atonement and for Christ's restored church. I'm thankful for my family and all they do for me. I'm thankful for all the knowledge i have being a member of this church. I'm thankful for how much God has blessed me and continues to bless me.
HAPPY THANKSGIVING!
-Elder Charlie Gates