Hello everybody! It's me, Elder Gates. I'm still here and ok and all that. Anybody who would care to explain why I felt like starting my email that way, please mail your explanations to me. Speaking of mail, sorry for all of you that have sent stuff and I still have not responded. It's been crazy here and hard to get caught up on much of anything. The trio ended on Tuesday, with us driving to Iowa City for Elder Wilson's new comp, Elder Cooper, which took all day. Then I got violently sick that night. Since we believe that extremely violent entertainment is not appropriate, I do not see why I could not have simply explained this to the virus and have it leave me alone. And I can't even sue the FCC for it or nothing. What a dispicable time we live in. Some may argue that the flu is not entertainment, but if SAW can be listed as such, why can't my virus? While I've never watched Saw, I'm sure it would have the same results. I apparently even puked so hard into the toilet that the toilet not only fought back by splashing in my face, my eye decided to burst a blood vessel. How my eye was even connected to this fight between me and the toilet is beyond me, but I still argue it was an odd way for my eye to try to get its point across. Even now, a week later, my eye still is bloody looking. My branch president, who's a doctor, explained the plethora of colors it will change over time. I turned to one of the Quincy elders and told him how straight that sounded. My Branch President laughed and told me that as long as I didn't go marching in any parades with my rainbow eye I'd be fine. I told him that I came out here to escape those parades in the first place. Anyway, speaking of Quincy ElderS, we lost Elder Wilson on Tuesday last week to a sad but not entirely unexpected case of New Comp Syndrome. The saddest part of the whole endeavor was needing to rush him to Iowa City to acquire this New Comp Syndrome. Luckily, he got a pretty good case of it, or so it seems, so that's a relief. When Christmas Eve came, we were finally able to step out into the light for District Meeting and a WEDDING!!! The wedding was great and simple and short and perfect. There was barely anybody there which is cool. I wore the pink tie I would have worn to Cari's wedding. But they're MARRIED! I was sick for all of the dress shopping and all of that jazz so I missed out on that...darn.... Christmas Day was great with breakfast with our Branch Mission Leader's family. It was so much fun to sit around a tree with a family and open presents. It felt like home. Just without the orange rolls. We then called home, and it was great being able to see my parents on Skype. It was also good to see that mom still hangs my photos on the wall across from the computer desk. But it was weird, yet necessary, to talk to them about going home plans. And while it would be fun to have a Gates Christmas Vacation in Hawaii next year if I'm there, we'll see if i even choose that for school. Not sure yet. I'm with yall, I'll probably end up at Provo. Then it was time for lunch at an investigator's and then dinner at the Branch Mission Leader's house again. We also went and said hi to Dena's dad that night. The baptism for Dena should be on for saturday, but we haven't been able to get ahold of them for a few days, which is kind of scaring us a tad. She'll be baptized, I know, but I don't know when. All in all, though, we're just happy to be free to do work again, with no more drama nor meetings nor sickness.
--
"As for myself, I am an optimist. It doesn't seem very much use being anything else." -Winston Churchill
Elder Charlie Gates