Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Training? I Really Wish I Had My Behavioral Psychology Notes Right About Now....

Hello Everybody Who Reads These Things; It's Me, Elder Gates.

Well, As you can tell from the title, I'm training! It's going to be exciting, I'm sure. Nerve racking, but exciting. I knew it was going to happen, President basically told me so, but still, that was a scary call to get last night. I had planned out some smart alec thing to say and everything (You mean I can actually stay in an area for three whole transfers??) but all that came out was "Well, if it's what the Lord thinks I can do...." When he poses the calling in the good-ol' "I feel very strongly that the Lord wants you to train next transfer," it makes it really hard to say much more than that. I nearly just said "Uhhhh..." like some idiot, so what I did get out was fairly intelligent comparitively, if you ask me.

This week wasn't terribly interesting, really, so going through a day by day play by play like last week would be even more boring than last week. So, highlights included seeing the garbage garden, as we call it. It's this lot of land in town that some guy has just collected garbage and put together to look kind of artistic. It's a cool place for pictures, but we met the guy. He's...out there. And on the city council. He uses what BS stands for the way most of us use the word Stuff. Literally. But yeah, that was a cool place to see.

Besides that, it seems like a lot of our stuff has been visiting members Elder Sheffer wanted pictures with before he left. I didn't mind, a lot of visiting the garbage garden was for that reason, too.

In the way of missionary work, the coolest thing that happened this week was taking an RM around with us and getting a member present and new investigator with him. We were trying to visit the son of a Recent Convert from here. His mom, Alice, had joined in December or something like that and then, after being taught the New Member Lessons, went back to Africa where she was from to try to help build up the church there. Anyway, her son, a guy in his twenties, I'd say, is still living in town here, and one of the Elders that had baptized his mother told us to stop by and see him. And we have been hurting for member presents because we just are not getting any return appointments so we took that RM along. We knocked on the door and luckily the guy was there. At first he seemed uninterested completely. But then I told him that what we teach doesn't have to take forever, it can only take a few minutes for us to just explain what we're all about (because he didn't understand what the difference was between us and other religions). After I said that he let us in and we taught a first. While I did not commit him to baptism as we've been trained to on the first lessons now, it went pretty good. He's still skeptical, but with all the seemingly unskeptical people that turn out to be completely uninterested, a skeptical person might just be a breath of fresh air.

So, yeah, that's the news. I'll let you know about my new comp in my next email.
--
"But nevertheless, deep water is what I am wont to swim in." D&C 127:2
Elder Charlie Gates