It's tough coming up with new ways to greet all yall every week,
So, critical, life-changing experiences that occurred this past week:
1) Went and visited the Place Where the Music Died. Got a picture next to it. I'll attach it. It's literally out in a corn field. No surprise there.
2) Every Memorial Day weekend in Mason City there's a parade with all sorts of marching bands (paying tribute to the Music Man I'm sure) and floats and all sorts of fun stuff. Huge crowds come out from states around to see the big parade. This was my chance to see the thing that makes Mason City famous, see buttloads of cool old cars, take awesome pictures and talk to hundreds of people about the Restored Gospel of Jesus Christ. One of those once-in-a-lifetime things that sound like I wouldn't miss it for the world, right? Wrong, I missed the whole thing. Didn't see any of it. Why? I was helping a member of the ward lay sod in his yard. I figured that was more important. So go ahead, check it out online and see the big parade I didn't see! KIMT is the local news station here in Mason City so you can check out their website for coverage.
3) I helped make cotton candy for the scouts to sell during the parade I didn't go to. Making cotton candy is pretty much not a glorious thing. Cotton candy was flying all over and it was sticky (yet tasty). I had some before I got sick of it, but my comp...well, it seemed like it might have been cotton candy laced with caffeine and meth the way he reacted to it. Great kid, ya gotta love him.
4) Went on exchanges down to Boone where our zone leaders are. Pretty much like the rest of the state. I got to see Mount Boone. That picture will be included, too. I was quite surprised to see a "mountain" in Iowa. Oh, I also got to help with committing a couple of their investigators to baptism. That was way cool. No luck doing that back here in Mason City, though.
5) A couple non-investigator-yet-very-nice-nonmembers gave us some awesome stuff this week. One of the couples gave us both full sets of disc golfing discs, and the other couple gave us two La-Z-Boy Recliners!!!! People out here are so nice, as long as they realize you aren't Sons of Perdition.
Really, that's about it. Oh, you're wondering about missionary work here in Mason City. It's pretty slow. Really just trying to get the balls rolling. We're working with a few members, both less active and active, and helping them overcome their problems. It's tough, though, and slow going. And it hit me this week how TRUE what we say is! No science, logic, ANYTHING can disprove it, because it all PROVES it. You cannot, logically, fight against what we say, because logic proves that this is true. And this fact, instead of making me excited about sharing the message, made me angry! I was pretty dang upset that people would fight us on this! But I had to get that anger out or else I'd stoop to the level of those missionaries who Bible bash. I refuse to do that. I'll discuss things, but as soon as it's contentious I'm out of there. Nobody benefits from that.
Anyway, I'm ranting. I'll go ahead and start uploading pictures. Love you all!
Your Favorite Missionary,
Elder Charlie Gates