You don't know how excited I was to find out that I am currently residing in a town near where the music died!! I actually went out past Clear Lake just yesterday! I had no clue I'd ever be so close to such a historic location. I'll need to find out if there's some monument there marking where the Big Bopper, Buddy Holly, and Ritchie Valens died in that plane crash. So not only do I live where the man who wrote the Music Man is from (they even have The Music Man Square just across the street from where I am with a statue and all sorts of other things claiming it to be "River City" from the play) but I get to be where that music died. Way cool. Chris Williams must be jealous of me.
For all those who get these updates, Mason City is my second ward that I've served in during my mission, the largest area in my mission, and the largest town I've served in yet. It even has a mall and a Target and other stores besides Wal-Mart! I never thought I'd miss having places to shop. I'm just sick of Wally-World/The Chinese Warehouse/The Happy Place or whatever you want to call it.
The ward seems great and very nice. They all walked up to me to shake my hand, which is a big change from having to be the one to take the initiative in most places. Maybe what one member told me will be true. She said, "This will be your favorite area." Sort of presumptuous, but I like it.
They just had a baptism here the day before I arrived and so really right now is rebuilding the teaching pool. Fun stuff.
Well, sorry that's not much of an update, but I kind of just talked to my parents yesterday.
--
Your Favorite Missionary,
Elder Charlie Gates