Monday, May 17, 2010

For As Small As This World Is I Should Be Able to Jump Higher

Hello!

So, I think it's hilarious that you had to talk about me in Sacrament Meeting on short notice yesterday, mom, because basically the same stuff happened in our ward here. The missionaries here get to talk once a month, which I think is awesome, right along with the stake high councilman. The problem arose when the stake high councilman called saying he would not be able to make it. So what did they do? They had all the moms of missionaries in the ward stand up and talk about them. I couldn't help but think of you, mom. It's funny to think that a couple hours after I saw it happen here you were doing it back at home.

And speaking of odd connections to this branch, I seem to have a multitude of them.

#1-Elder Heyborne's first area was here. Way tiny connection compared to the rest.

#2-There is a member here with the last name McLane that looked a lot like a member with that same last name in Yankton. Turns out it's his brother. Bro and Sis McLane were some of my favorite people in Yankton.

Just wait, it's getting better.

#3-Also, in Yankton, there was another member who I loved who apparently once lived in this ward and is good friends with some members that just moved back from China. Very sweet people.

Now here's the real kicker.

#4-A member who's my age was going to BYU-I for school. He had not gotten an apartment yet, so he was going to be staying with his younger sister who is married. I decided to leave him with some good parting advice. There was this girl while I was there that I had met at a party and had fun hanging out with that night at a couple different movie parties but had never heard from again. So I told him to watch out for a girl with her name just in case she did the same thing to him. He replied "Well, I sure hope not, that's my sister's name." And then he froze. And began interrogating me. Yep. That's right. It was his sister, as he found out after calling her, a former member of this ward. And now, as all absolutely hilarious stories do, is spreading through the ward like wildfire. But, as all wildfire tends to do, it's getting misconstrued. So everybody keeps hearing that I dated her. Great. I actually think that would be less embarrassing than the actual story, but I still can't help but set the matter straight.

Sometimes I hate how small this world is.

Anyway, missionary work is going good, just trying to find people to teach. Found a cool lady who has had all sorts of deaths in her family and knows the bible so when we taught her the plan of salvation it didn't even seem like any surprise to her (kind of funny how when people really study the Bible, all we teach fits perfectly in). She's also a civil war reenactor(?).

Anyway, that's about it. Hope you laughed as hard as I have (you probably won't turn as red as I do) about #4.

Love you all,
Your Favorite Missionary,
Elder Charlie Gates