Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Google Doesn't Do A Subject Space??

That's my subject.
Anyway.
Nope, I'm not getting transferred! Congrats to Elder Sodenkamp, though, at getting Zone Leader! I'm getting bumped up to Senior Companion. Which, if nothing else, means I get to drive!! That's the big thing. It will probably be to an elder that will just be one transfer younger than me. So...we'll definitely be relying upon the Spirit to guid this area! So, as any normal transfer P-Day would be, we get to do all sorts of running around and crap.

But this is an amazing area right now! We just saw the baptism of Jacob on Saturday!! He's a great kid and will go far. He really has gone through a lot just to get to this point and be baptized and seeing it finally happen for him was amazing. I nearly cried. He truly was glowing. And then on sunday we had the best fast and testimony meeting of my life, when he and Brother Rayburn stood up and bore their testimonies. Nearly cried again. Got pretty teary-eyed. The spirit was so strong and being able to feel the strength behind their testimonies, even though they were simple, was amazing.

We also have a new baptismal date! It's a lady named Cris. She actually has had a date before, but now seems right on track for it. She has given up her Tobacco, alcohol, coffee, tea, everything. Even chocolate because it causes her to do the other stuff! Pretty crazy. It's been a lot of fun carrying that stuff around and flushing it down the toilet. I'll try to include some of my favorite pictures from flushing it all. It's good to destroy the stuff and have them see it destroyed so they know it's gone for good. Still, never thought the first time I'd walk around all day with tobacco in my backpack or have open alcohol in my home would be when I came on my mission. But Yeah, her baptismal date is set for the 27th, and more baptismal dates are on the way soon, I'm sure! We've got some great investigators. One is a woman I think I've mentioned before who investigated the church about ten years ago. She called us up this past week to ask us to pray for her child who was sick and I, not willing to pass up the opportunity, asked if we could give her child a blessing. She agreed after I explained it and we got the opportunity to bless her! It was way cool. She's progressing a lot. She wanted to come to church this past sunday but was really sick.... She's reading and praying still, which is great, and she's just...better. You can see the change in people when they start reading the Book of Mormon. It's nearly palpable. I LOVE it.

It's been snowing more. Yay. This is an especially bad winter for here. Woo. It's not as cold as Rexburg was, but with the humidity it's made worse and the fact that here I cannot just go inside all day or just go outside when I absolutely have to. But yeah, more snow means an even higher amount of junk to trudge through and even more runoff in the spring. There will be massive flooding this spring, I know it. Does anybody remember the massive flooding that happened here in Cedar Rapids a couple years ago? It caused equivolant, if not more, damage, money-wise, than Katrina. But it didn't hit the news as much. Hmmm....

Anyway, that's it really for this week's update!
-Elder Gates