Monday, January 4, 2010

New Decade, New Area

Good morning, family, friends, and fans!
I'm now in the great city of Knoxville, Iowa. Population: 7,000. World Capitol of Sprint Car Racing. Strangely enough, it's not the largest town in my area. That honor would be reserved for Pella, a town the size of Yankton that is sort of the Leavenworth of Iowa, just Dutch instead of Bovarian. It's an interesting area, for sure, and the first time yet I haven't been on the outskirts of the mission. My area is also much, much smaller and much, much easier to explain the boundaries of: It's just Marion County. We're about an hour from Des Moines. I'm now companions with Elder Bill Havice from Eugene, OR. He's an interesting character but definitely seems like an awesome missionary. The weather is much more mild here, they got a lot less snow from the blizzard, but it's been quite cold lately. Which has made it perfect weather for us to do the amount of tracting we've done! <--(sarcasm) When people say "It's too cold for you to be out!" I just want to reply with "So then let us in." I especially love the good natured people that decide to inform us that it's cold outside. "Really?? Holy crap I had no clue!! Thank goodness you told me, I could have made the mistake of freezing my butt off knocking on doors!" Too bad I'm a nice person. There have been a few people, though, that have let us in, which was very nice of them. Some Community of Christ people let us in for hot chocolate and cookies. They nearly gave us coffee but they remembered we don't drink it.
And while I left Yankton's baptismal date for this coming saturday, I seem to have fallen into another one for the same saturday! Way cool. There's also another baptismal date and also another progressing. This definitely seems like a good area, and I'm stoked to be here. The members here are legendary for being awesome, which is perfect. I should hopefully be here for a normal amount of time. We'll see.

Elder Charlie Gates