Monday, January 11, 2010

Knocking in Knoxville... Knocksvilling?

Hello,

So, remember that baptism that was supposed to happen yesterday? Yep, no go on that one. But that's only because the water heater was broken, again [FPEO: Dad, now I can see why you love the FM Group so much ;)], so it has been put off until next sunday. We didn't think putting a 79-year-old man into ice-cold water was a good idea. But Marissa's baptism back in Yankton went through! I called up Elder McConnel last night and it sounds like everything went really well. I wish I could have been there for it, but as Elder McConnel told me, it counts as "my baptism" (I always feel weird "tallying up" people's choice to take the first big step towards eternal life. It makes me feel like some fighter pilot with markings on the side of his jet....) as much as anybody else's. I still wish I could have been there for it, though.

We had zone conference this past week. It was all about planning. It was a good zone conference, but I'm pretty sure I'm going to go home and have no idea what to do with myself. I'll keep reaching into my back pocket for my planner to see what I should be doing and end up planning out the next day every night and the next week every friday morning. I'll be such a bigger geek than I already am.

The temperature's warming up. It's supposed to hit FORTIES this week. That's pertinear T-Shirt and Shorts weather! The snow's started to melt some from the heat wave. You might think that's a good thing. That's a very bad thing. Snow turns into water which turns into ice on the road. And Elder Havice is from Eugene, OR and has never dealt with weather anywhere close to this.

We've picked up some cool new investigators this past week. One is this man who we now realize has some big problems with short term memory loss so teaching him might be pretty dang tough. There is also this media referral who is an awesome little lady who loves to comment on everything (which is so different than most people, who just sit there as robots nodding their heads if you don't ask them enough questions. I like it so much more when they will actually just ask you questions or comment back). And then there's this lady we knocked into who already knows that we lived with God before this life and that apparently there's some Ancient American saying that is nearly exactly like one of the Psalms (hmmm...I wonder why?). She seems great.

Well, that's about it. I can't believe Brother May passed away! It's good that he's no longer suffering, but it's so weird to think that he's gone.... At least we know that all will be well with him.

Elder Gates