Well, I really wish I had more to report on this week than what I do. As you may be able to tell from the title of this week's email, I got sick this week. It all started monday night and it's kind of wrapping up now...I hope. It's ridiculous. It all started off with cold symptoms, but just whiped me out. I couldn't understand why I was so tired from this thing. The cough began to go lower into my throat until sure enough I got bronchitis. And then sunday afternoon, after I had gotten drugs for the bronchitis, I began having diarrhea. So I officially had the flu. We had a dinner appointment that night that I did not feel up to, but went to anyway. After eating a little bit of my sloppy joes and using the restroom, the member kindly let us leave early so I could sleep. The members of this branch are so nice. When I called up Sister Jergensen to tell her of the newest update in my situation, she couldn't help but motheringly rub it in that I hadn't gotten a flu shot. I deserved that. After hearing her and President Jergensen talking about which drugs I should get (she, as a mother, recommended peptobismol since that would deal with the upset stomach, but her husband, as a pharmacist, recommended immodium since that would be most effective at killing that), we got permission to leave our apartment (at this point it was after 9:30 pm) to get what I now needed as a flu victim. I got both pepto bismol and immodium, but as the diarrhea was the most disconcerting of the symptoms, I took that that night. It worked, but I don't know if I should be happy about that or not. I still haven't gone number two. I know you all cared to know that, but, as it is a free service to all yall who want to know updates on my life, you get what you pay for. Yesterday we went to church, only really because Elder England had to give a talk. I sat down on a back pew and watched as everyone came in. A new move-in that loves missionaries kept talking to me and I really wasn't in the mood for a hunky-dory conversation, but I pulled through. Elder England did a great job of covering for me and getting everything done that we needed done. He informed our dinner appointment for that night that I was sick with the flu and she kindly said that she didn't want me in her house, but they came by later with food and chicken noodle soup, with chicken shaped noodles, made especially for me, with other things as well. Our branch mission leader also came by with some chicken noodle soup and crackers and gave us 7up. He and his wife asked us at church if there was anything they could do and when I said I wished we had more chicken noodle soup now that I was restricted on my diet they jumped at the chance to bring me not only that but other things as well. I love our branch! We got NOTHING done this week, though. Well, a little, but not much. We taught a couple lessons that we had scheduled, and we went to this branch activity where the men make cakes and compete. I had wanted to make a cake but, obviously, I didn't. Elder England did, though, and we put hotwheels on top for decoration. We also went to Carthage last Monday. By the time we made it to Nauvoo we only had a little bit of time before needing to leave again so we did nothing there, but carthage was amazing. We took the last tour of the day of the jail, and it was just us, so it was great. I loved being able to see for myself the conditions and what it was all like. Really, you should all be jealous.
That's about it!
"I am an optimist, it doesn't seem much use being anything else." -Winston Churchill
Elder Charlie Gates