There's a slight problem with this whole five or so day difference between PrepDays: there's very little to report on. Besides the following:
Last P-Day we busted out the bikes. That's been exciting. I remember the days when I liked riding my bike. I considered it fun and exciting to go fast and have the wind blow on my face and try to get, like, three feet of air off of some dumb ramp. Now I'd rather hop in the car or walk. We rode our bikes a lot there for a few days, even attempting to ride out into the countryside to visit a less active. Yeah. They say Iowa is flat. I'd actually claim that there's a flatness that is achieved by Washington that southern Iowa misses completely. Iowa has rolling hills, which is a cutesy term for annoyingly long, slight inclines of death. Washington has a few different things. There's either Up for a couple hours, down for a couple hours, or flat in the valleys or somewhere in between the up and down. There's also this wind thing that hits you as soon as you leave the towns. And wind in Iowa has this amazing ability to always blow in your face. Plus my bike always seems to be one twist of a bolt away from perfect. Not that I'm complaining, it's just fact. We still got a lot done, but we're still perfecting this whole bike riding thing. Yesterday Elder Heyborne refused to ride his bike and let his backside rest from the whole bike seat thing. Cari, you're probably thinking to yourself that your brother is a wimp. That's a fact. And I'm proud of it. I'm sure once I'm used to the bikes again I'll be fine.
On the whole missionary work front, we're still struggling getting investigators to come to sacrament meeting. We did, however, have a less active come back!!! That was way cool. He brought his daughter even, who's 4 and loves preschool, and we're hoping that, if nothing else, he keeps coming for her to come to primary. The branch did a great job it seemed of welcoming him back, so that's great!
We also finally met with a less active that has kind of dropped off the map for a long time. I tell you, missionaries make the best private investigators. Maybe that's what I should do when I get home, get a big mullet and aviators and a funky facial hair thing and call myself Magnum. And/or get a talking car. Depends on how 80's I want to get. But anyway, we were able to find out where she lived from a friend and were finally able to contact her. She's way cool and loves missionaries and I think has a chance of coming back. We'll definitely try. She fed us, which is a plus, and said we can come by anytime. AND her husband was asking all sorts of questions, being way interested to understand more.
We're also still working on contacting everyone we see, which is leading to more investigators, more interesting moments, and more blessings. It's cool to see how many investigators a companionship can be blessed with if they do the work the Lord's. Now's the struggle of working with all of their really busy schedules!
We also had our first new member lessons and more attempting to be arranged. THAT'S awesome, too. New member lessons tend to be thrown by the wayside at times and that's what leads to all of the Recent Converts that are Less Actives. LAME. Neither I nor this branch are going to allow that to happen here, though.
That's it! Have a wonderful week!
--
Your Favorite Missionary,
Elder Charlie Gates