Hey Everybody,
So, as you can tell by the subject of this entry in the log of Elder Gates' travels, the Three Muscatines will be no more as of transfer day, tomorrow. The way things work here is that we don't know that we're being transferred for sure until right before we are, and we don't find out where we're going until we basically get there. That's to hold back on negative rumors and all that. It seems to work, but it kind of causes confusion. For example, let's just say that there is a tri-companionship of two English speakers, one who's being trained, and one that is Spanish. And, to go along with the example, the companionship finds out that something will change a couple days before they know for sure. They think it over and say that the Trainee's official trainer will be transferred, for that is the only thing that would make sense if a transfer were to happen. Instead, tuesday night they get a phone call saying that, sure enough, the Trainer is being transferred and becoming District Leader of his new area, but is also taking his trainee with him, even though his trainee has only been there one transfer, and will be whitewashing (a delicate term which means they will be moved into an area with no companion from the area who had been there the transfer before to update them on everything, and thus have to completely rely on the area book and notes left by the old missionaries). It may surprise you after hearing this farfetched possibility to discover this is exactly what's happening. So tomorrow morning, Papa Nelson and I are headed off to who-knows-where. Mom, go ahead and check my account the next couple days to find out where I bought things from. And it also means today is an awesome packing day. Especially great since i had no clue this would be the case.... We thought I'd be the most likely to stay!
I love Muscatine. I hate that I have to leave. Things are going amazing here. We just started teaching a solid family that Papa Nelson has been trying for 8 weeks to set up a lesson with. We just got our fourth baptismal date with a ten-year-old boy last night, just a few hours before the phone call. We are really a pretty solid companionship in a very solid area. The members are amazing and so willing to help. It's great being right next to the Mississippi. And to smell what smells like burned tuna melts coming from GPC and the smell of catsup from Heinz. Mom and Dad, if you're going to be able to pick me up, we have to stop by Muscatine.
In other news, we did something I wanted to do all transfer, go to Illinois to do work. Our ward goes over there quite a ways, but missionaries have never really gone there to do work. I had always picked out a place called Illinois City to go work in because it looked pretty big from the dot on the map. And so we went this last sunday. It is officially one of the smallest towns I've seen yet, and that's saying something. We nearly tracted the entire town while there, and nothing really came of it in the way of new investigators. But at least we got to go there!
I have pictures I could probably add here, but seeing as how the last time I tried that it all fell apart, I won't try again....
Conference was incredible. I loved being able to go to the ward building where it was broadcast to and watch it. I gained a lot out of it. Just like you, Mom, I saw a big emphasis on following the Spirit, and that has also been our transfer emphasis these last 6 weeks. We had it more as the Spirit being not only our third companion, but our senior companion, from a talk given by, I believe, Jeffrey R. Holland at the MTC. Following the Spirit is essential to missionary work, and is vital to missionary work, or else "Ye shall not teach" (from D&C, and meaning we CANNOT, not should not). I could go over a few different talks that I loved, but that would take awhile and I don't think would be too fruitful. I did love Elder Holland's talk about the Book of Mormon. I wish I could have him on doorsteps or in lessons with us. That was powerful. But I suppose that we are blessed to have a member of the Godhead with us in our lessons, and with faith and firm testimonies we can be powerful as well. And we are, and should be, just tools in the Lord's hands to be led by the Spirit. It's a tough but extremely rewarding deal.
I really don't know what else to add in this email. I'm really getting to the point where stuff is all sort of melding together into one big mass of experiences. I guess that's just going to happen more and more the more I'm out here. I guess that means I should work harder on that whole journal writing thing....
I guess that's it. Oh, and Team Fire won our game last weekend. We weren't able to go because of conference, so we had a parent coach for us. Apparently it worked out. And no worries, I'm still in high spirits, I trust God and know He's got things under control, even if they seem pretty hectic to me. The gospel's true, this Church is Christs' true church, and the Book of Mormon's true.
Love,
Elder Gates
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
New comments are not allowed.